Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Tuesday Musings (#18)

Happy Tuesday everyone and especially to all Canadians.

I was thinking about a very serious word that I recently discovered and planned on musing on it this morning and then last night happened. I donned my team Canada jersey for the final game of the World Junior Hockey Tournament and watched as the boys from all over Canada beat the Swedes in our game. I watched from the edge of my seat until the last two minutes of the game, then I used the whole thing, when I wasn't standing and screaming at the tv. My beloved thought I was having multiple heart attacks or breathing problems, it was just my expressions of angst during the game.

I always watch the whole thing and especially the line up of players and management with arms linked around shoulders singing O Canada when we win. I usually have tears in my eyes by that time, not because of the hockey game, but because I love this country so much.

I was not born here. I love everything about my heritage. I was born in Ireland and come to Canada almost 40 years ago. I am a citizen of this country and I consider myself a Canadian. I do not believe in hyphenating in that some would consider themselves Irish-Canadian. I am Canadian. This country was a choice for our family and I have had the privilege of raising a family of Canadians.

And so, I leave you with this little reminder from Joe on this awesome day when 20,000 in person and millions across the country joined as one and said:

I am Canadian




Happy Tuesday Canada, tough luck Americans, Russians and Swedes, hockey is and always be..............our game.

No comments: