Saturday, June 18, 2011

Pre-fathers day thoughts

I had a serendipitous event today.

I ran into the sister of one of my closest friends from high school. After chatting I went to visit the parents of my friend.

Sadly, I learned that one of these fine folk is suffering from cancer. Almost a year ago that damned disease took someone from me. More and more will succumb to this dreaded disease because we live in a fallen world. All the research and fundraising will do nothing to eliminate this disease.

What was serendipitous then? We have not seen these people in such a long time. We shared where our lives have taken us in the last few years and we shared how our children our planning their lives to serve others. We shared our faith through the stories of our life experiences and we opened some doors and discussions that might allow us to develop deeper bonds before the dreaded disease takes our friend.

Sometimes life stinks. Sometimes it provides the impetus to deal with what really matters. There is more to life than death. I noticed a sign the other "it doesn't take courage to face death it takes courage to face life".

When it stinks we just have to have courage to face it. In all the joy of memories I was reminded by my friend to face life with all the courage that I can muster.

Are you facing it today.

Tomorrow is "fathers day", a day set apart for dads everywhere to get a new tie and to be feted by his wife and children. As a dad I want to face life with courage and integrity. In that way I hope to leave a legacy for my children and for others too.

Happy Fathers day to all the dads.

No comments: