Sunday, June 19, 2011

and suddenly there isn't much time left

"You walk around feeling like a teenager and immortal your whole life and suddenly there isn't much time left"

I just read that quote in "The girl who kicked the hornet's nest". Lately I've been thinking about being on the wrong side of the hill. I'm not sure I am over it yet, the hill that is, but my best before date is drawing closer. I'm not being morbid or even maudlin, but realistic. I'm getting older. My children are getting older, one has left the nest, the other is preparing to do so.

This begs the question: what next? What is in store for me for the remainder of my life? What do I have planned? Not much actually. I need to keep working at least for 5-6 more years and then what? What can I do to impact this world in a positive sense? What does God want from me in order to impact this world? There has to be more than retirement planning, vacations, personal enjoyment, sitting and wasting away, doesn't there?

It's time to start seriously thinking about what time I have left. Just yesterday I spent time with the parents of my beloved who are both starting to tire. After that we spent time with some old friends, one of whom is fighting cancer. They too are starting to tire.

What is there for me to do?

With my skills what can I do to expand the Kingdom of God before I am called away from here?

What can I do to improve the lives of others before my best before time expires?

Who would have thought that a book filled with amazing characters and horrible sin would challenge me to look at my life in a different way? Amazing eh?

"and suddenly there isn't much time left"

How true!

No comments: